This is an older post (old in WWW terms, which is more than one hour) from Guy Kawasaki’s blog How to Change the World, but it’s a good one.  He walks through Yahoo!’s recruiting practice in a great interview with Libby Sartain, Yahoo!’s Chief People Officer.  No comment on how loose title are getting these days.  Libby’s smart, and gives some great insight into how they source, as well as what it takes to make it onto their payroll.  I was especially interested in some of the percentages she gave – beyond the job boards and employee referal program, their third most common source (20%) for applicants was from their internal recruiters sourcing candidates.   The point here is that you need to be known – if you don’t have a contact at the company, and you’ve posted online, you only have a 30% chance of being spotted.  If you make yourself better known to their recruiters, your chances jump to 50% – you need to get your presence out there, baby.  Set up your ZoomInfo profile (over 30% of the Fortune 100 use ZoomInfo to look for names to call every day), put together a LinkedIn page, and get that blog going (just make sure your blog is useful, readable, and, well, not weird – unlike mine…)

Advertisements